Desperation

Today’s Booking through Thursday:

What’s the most desperate thing you’ve read because it was the only available reading material?

If it was longer than a cereal box or an advertisement, did it turn out to be worth your while?

I have read a lot of cereal boxes in my life. Way too many. And yogurt cups and juice bottles and candy-bar wrappers…

The most desperate thing I’ve ever read is the safety manual in the pocket of an airline seat. Normally, this is considered mind-numbingly dull literature. But I’m one of those people who gets nervous on flights. To me a patch of turbulence is a sure sign that death is imminent–or at least a very good possibility. I look out the window, notice a bolt on one of the wing flaps, and start wondering what will happen if it comes loose. So the one time I read the safety manual (with all the vague illustrations of water landings and inflatable emergency slides and tentacled breathing apparatus dangling from the ceiling) I did not particularly enjoy that flight.

Needless to say, when traveling now I am always sure to bring reading material with me. And backup reading material, in case I finish the first batch.

9 Responses to “Desperation”

1. CoversGirlon 28 Jun 2007 at 9:55 am

I take backup supplies too, if I think there’s any chance I might need extra; always a good idea!

2. Imperatrixon 28 Jun 2007 at 1:38 pm

I often will read the back of shampoo and conditioner bottles, lotion bottles, whatever I can lay my hands on.

The most deperate thing I’ve read? *Field and Stream* magazine.

3. Emmaon 28 Jun 2007 at 3:26 pm

That would be really unnerving for me, too!!

4. CJHillon 28 Jun 2007 at 4:12 pm

The safety manual?

I would immediately start picturing the worst possible scenario…

But, that may be why I don’t fly.

cjh

5. Rowenaon 28 Jun 2007 at 6:08 pm

Oh I remember my first flight, I was really nervous and had I known about the safety pamphlet I would have read it, needless to say, I just sat there scared out of my mind until I landed where I needed to land.

Happy BTT!

6. Katie Jon 28 Jun 2007 at 11:55 pm

Not alone on that one, my friend.

7. Ginaon 29 Jun 2007 at 9:16 am

Oh geez. I recall many a time in my high-school & college years when I suffered terribly with stomach ailments. I pretty much knew where every public restroom was located in the city of Philadelphia. Well, while in dire straits in the bathroom at Wanamaker’s, or La Rude Pizza (not the real name, we just called it this because the guy that ran the place was like the “Soup Nazi” guy from Seinfeld) or anywhere, I’d sit and read the backs of the cleaning supplies or read the information on the wrappers of the spare toilet-paper rolls. Not a lot to read. So then I’d start like counting all the vowels and scrambling up words to make other words. Or I’d try to translate the exciting text of a Lysol can into French. Strange times….

8. Marshaon 29 Jun 2007 at 10:02 am

Imperatrix: I will admit to leafing through a copy of Field & Stream once while waiting in a doctor’s office (and there was not a copy of Highlight to be found, alas).

Interesting to see how many unhappy fliers there are among us. When will those stupid scientists stop being so lazy and get around to inventing matter transporters, huh?

Gina: You should put your hard-won knowledge to work for the greater good by posting info on this site.

9. Virtual Vacation Secret Tour Guideon 01 Jul 2007 at 2:06 am

Hi Brenda,

First of all I’ll read anything within arms distance (or anything that has writing in the room I’m in) if I don’t have a book or audiobook with me. I’ve even read the back of transfers, ingredients lists, the list goes on.

Also I’m your Secret Tour Guide from the Knitter’s Virtual Vacation Swap and I wanted to drop in and say hi. I’ve had a chance to read your questionnaire answers and will be thinking of ideas. When you travel what types of souvenirs do you like to pick up besides yarn? Me I hit all the used books stores I can :-) Me and my partner scour them for good sci-fi/fantasy books and I do stray from that genre as well, but that is the mass amount our home library. If you have aan amazon wishlist or any other wishlists please put links here or e-mail I’ll be sending you an e-mail verifying your address soon.