Marsha

My first FO of 2009

Shortly before my pre-Christmas mitten-knitting frenzy, I had started work on a sweater for myself. Not long after I first started knitting about five years ago, I got the idea of making sweaters for Jan and me out of the same yarn. I placed an order at Elann.com (my only one to date, now that I think about it…), and a box full of Gjestal bulky-weight 100% wool yarn soon arrived on my doorstep.

It didn’t take me too long to knit “the Beatles sweater” for Jan. I started on a funnelneck sweater for myself, put it down for several months, then ran into some problems. So I put the yarn away for several more months.

And then I saw the B.O.B. (Button on Blanket) Sweater and just knew that the rest of my Gjestal was destined to be one of these. The Ravelry page, with a link to the free PDF in the Ravelry library, is here. Those of you who aren’t on Ravelry can go here and ask the author to send you the pattern directly.

I really enjoyed working on this sweater, right until I got near the end of the raglan decreases at the shoulders. I was at the point there I should have been done decreasing (further decreases would have eaten into the cables on either side, thus messing up their prettiness), but I still had about six more columns than the pattern said I should. Hmmm. After consultation with–and lots of helpful advice from–my knitting group, I ended up winging it a bit. And it worked out all right.

c7e4.jpg

Other than having to fiddle with the final decreases, I made two other adjustments to the pattern. First, I made the arms a couple of inches longer–partly to accommodate my long arms, partly because I wanted the sleeves to descend into the palms of my hands to increase their bundle-up-in-cold-weather utility. Second, I lengthened the body by about five inches.

I found some buttons I like at JoAnn, but after wearing the sweater for a few days I am finding that the buttonholes have loosened up, and I’ll need to get some larger buttons to replace them. Also, since I lengthened the body but neglected to increase the number of buttons (currently there are eight), the sweater has a little gappiness in front, particularly when I sit down. At first I didn’t think I’d mind (especially since the designer points out that “this is more a warm wrap around and bundle in on the couch for knitting and movies than svelte sweater-girl knit”), but now I’m think I will redo the buttonband once I find appropriate buttons.

Problems aside, this sweater was a lot of fun to knit (especially since it was for me–my first sweater for myself!). It’s very comfortable and very warm. I may very well make another one of these sometime!

10 Responses to “My first FO of 2009”

  1. Chrison 18 Jan 2009 at 5:08 pm

    It looks great and really warm!! Y’know, it might be just as easy to tighten up the buttonholes a bit instead of buying new buttons…

    Thanks for the Martha Stewart GF article! You’re so thoughtful. :)

  2. Paulaon 18 Jan 2009 at 9:29 pm

    That looks really great. Impressive work

  3. Katie Jon 19 Jan 2009 at 3:24 pm

    It looks really cozy Marsha. Great job.

  4. Chelleon 19 Jan 2009 at 3:35 pm

    Wow impressive, I’m still working on my Frances Revisited. I’ve got a sleeve and cowl to go then I’m done. That sweater looks so cozy, the pattern name is perfect for it. I ravelled out the other B.O.B.S and it seems like the gapping especially the third button hole is common. Instead of changing buttons or reknitting the button band, you could crochet around the button holes to tighten them up.

  5. knittymamaon 19 Jan 2009 at 6:14 pm

    Nice! That has fireplace, knitting and coffee written all over it!

  6. Kiranon 19 Jan 2009 at 8:28 pm

    Wow Marsha! What a beautiful sweater! Nice work.

  7. bethon 19 Jan 2009 at 9:52 pm

    Loverly!

  8. Deborahon 20 Jan 2009 at 2:30 pm

    Kudos to you for finishing your first sweater for yourself!!!! It’s gorgeous. Don’t you just love knitting with bulky weight yarn? Time flies. You know you can just crochet around the button holes to make them more snug. However, if you do redo the buttonband I will bow down to you. It’s something I would have a hard time doing. Of course, I myself have been thinking about ripping out my finished gathered pullover and redoing it in a smaller size. The daunting task of undoing all the hard work (especially those weaved in ends…ugh) keeps me from doing it at the moment.

  9. Imperatrixon 21 Jan 2009 at 10:46 am

    Beautiful! I’m making my first sweater for myself, too. And technically it is done, but I need to add some length, and the pattern was crap, and the neckline needs to be fixed. So I’m feeling bummed out about it right now. It’s nice to see a successful FO, even if it isn’t mine.

  10. Shannahon 21 Jan 2009 at 9:42 pm

    I’d say it worked out more than “all right”! Very nice.