A discovery

You know how they say that printer toner is the most expensive fluid on the planet? An ounce of it costs more than gasoline or pretty much anything else you can think of. But a few days ago I discovered something even pricier.

In order to combat an allergy-induced, contact-lens-wearing-exacerbated infection in my eyes (I’ve been walking around with itchy and mostly red eyes for the past few weeks), my optometrist prescribed some combination steroid/antibiotic eyedrops for me. A 5ml bottle of this stuff costs $125. And that’s with insurance.

7 Responses to “A discovery”

1. Chrison 23 Jun 2012 at 5:45 pm

YIKES! Don’t lose it!!

I was last able to wear contacts about 25 years ago – my eyes got too dry from allergies and rosacea at that point.
    Chris recently posted..Linkity languishes in the darkMy Profile

2. Bedeon 26 Jun 2012 at 9:39 pm

What the…?!?!

3. ariannaon 27 Jun 2012 at 7:09 am

I had actually never heard that about printer ink, but it does make sense. But…sheesh! That stuff is like GOLD. I hope it does the trick for you!!

4. Lizieon 09 Jul 2012 at 1:03 am

Well for me this is really helpful! I am sure a lot of people can benefit from this awesome discovery.. Thanks a lot!
    Lizie recently posted..Sharepoint HostingMy Profile

5. Jeanon 11 Jul 2012 at 5:03 pm

Yikes! My doctor presribed a medication that was something ridiculous, like $600. Thank goodness I have insurance, but the whole industry (pharmaceutical and medical) is so hard to wrap one’s head around. I hope your eyedrops are helping.
    Jean recently posted..Starting summerMy Profile

6. courtneyon 06 Nov 2012 at 10:42 pm

If it makes you feel any better at all, I have to give myself an injection in my stomach every other Friday, and the price on that drug (without insurance) runs in the $2,400/ month range.

I had an acute allergic reaction to something about a year ago, and my eyes turned into peeled grapes dunked in cranberry juice until I used similar eye drops to yours. I’m not exaggerating when I say that my eyes were back to normal in about a week, and that $125 was TOTALLY worth the price of admission!

7. Marshaon 07 Nov 2012 at 1:03 pm

@courtney: Wow, that is some serious money to spend on drugs! :(
    The eyes drops worked great for me, though it was super-annoying to have to wear glasses for a couple of weeks—partly because my glasses are really beat up (since I wear them only in the evenings, I haven’t bothered to get a new pair for about a decade), and partly because that period coincided with a heat wave, so being sweaty made the glasses really uncomfortable on my face. Blech.
    “Peel grapes dunked in cranberry juice” is the PERFECT description, by the way! :)
    Marsha recently posted..What a hoot!My Profile